Okay, so me and OSH managed to get in another cool cityfight game before the snow caused DC to shut down over the weekend. It was another Tau vs Blood Angels affair but we upped it to 1200 pts so we could throw in some more mayhem.
The mission was firesweep (clear and claim buildings) and we took two strategems each. I went for medical (gives feel no pain) on one of my home ruins and ammo dump (reroll misses) on the other where the pathfinders would go. OSH took power generator (reroll wounds) on his home and medical on the central ruin
My list (tau) was:
- Helios (plas/fusion) Shas-El + 2 gun drones
- 3 Stealths
- 3 Deathrains
- 1 Fireforge (Missile/fusion) crisis
- 2x 10 Kroot
- 4x 6 Firew Warriors
- 6 Pathfinders + Devilfish
- Broadside + 2 gun drones
- Inquisitor plus small retinue
- Vindicare assassin
- 5 Terminators
- 4 Death company
- 5 assault marines in rhino
- 20 tactical marines
- Baal Predator.
Without going too blow by blow, it went a bit like this:
- Tau don't do much first turn, devilfish moves to flank with FW cargo. Blood angels surge forwards.
- Good rolling starts to batter down marines, destroy assault rhino. OSH nearly makes it to the centre
- We continue shooting and knocking off marines. Kroot charge and die. Marines make it into the central building and Baal Flanks
- Tau pour fire into the middle and the baal. Marines really hold the middle and start killing Tau.
- Devilfish tau are near OSH's home objective. They outshoot then beat the inquisitor in assault. OSH moves out of the centre to claim.
- We put down all the fire we can but FNP is tough to deal with. OSH batters at me.
- More battering each side then the game ends.
It was a draw as we both held one objective and the other two were contested (one Death company vs 5 pathfinders and one vindicare vs the devilfish and cargo). I give OSH a huge amount of credit for reaching this point as I had so much more left alive at the end of the game (Shas'El, 2 deathrains, 18 Fire Warriors, 5 pathfinders, Devilfish, skyray and broadside) and thanks to some lucky rolling on my part he had only a few guys (Corbulo, 2 tactical, 1 death company, 1 vindicare, one baal minus assault cannons).
What did I learn?
- Tau can be really really nasty when they have enough markerlights. Having twin linking on the pathfinders let me just punish OSH at range.
- The vindicare can have a huge effect on deployment. I put my broadside out of the way for fear of being killed with a turbo penetrator round (2 wounds) and he didn't get to do as much as I wanted. In the end the assassin sniped out a deathrain with one shot from across the board. Very cool.
- Marines with Feel No Pain, cover and a medic are punishing to deal with. OSH saved or FNPed 15 wounds with no deaths in one turn!
- Helios suits are really nasty when there is cover around to slow enemy assaulters. Putting out the AP1 and AP2 shots forced OSH to stick to cover saves only without FNP.
- Think carefully about charging marines with kroot. It's probably better to shoot since you'll lose enough to the higher initiative that the extra attack on the charge probably won't be enough.
- Don't underestimate BA speed with their overcharged engines.
A thoroughly enjoyable game all in all though and OSH was a model opponent as ever. His terrain table is just great to play on as well. I've definitely got new appreciation for the marines after playing Tau and OSH told me he wants to get back to playing with big guns and fancy tech of his Tau.
So that's two draws in cityfight. The next match will have to be the decider :-)
Now some pictures of the game.
Devilfish prowls the streets.
Marines spy out their path
That's a lot of power armour
Lots of angry red marines coming for me
The broadside looks tough but he didn't do too much.
OSH's home base. The vindicare is hidden away at the top of the building just to the left of the white token.
Many marines plus Feel No Pain = much difficulty for Tau
OSH's terrain has cool model-placing points
Kroot about to die honourably...ish