Thanks to the Easter break I've been able to put some good modelling time into the new tanks and get them closer and closer to the battlefield.
Here they are assembled. The Tiger turret was finished but then I realised that the gun was off centre due to the mould line I mentioned in the last post. I snapped it off before the green stuff had cured, filed down the base and then reglued it. Now it's much better.
Here's my StuG with tank commander and machine gun mount included. Because the machine gun mount isn't originally included in the model kit I drilled a hole for it and then glued it down over the right hatch, as was historically done.
While it may not be really obvious here I had some issues with the tracks fitting the hull. Both tracks were slightly curved, which I tried to fix with hot water (didn't make much difference) but more than that, the hull itself was convex on one side. It was too big of a job to try and file down without a dremel or the like so I decided instead to greenstuff the gaps and help hold the model together this way. It took a fair bit of green stuff but I hope I managed to make it look like there were just some welded parts in the joints.
Here are both models on the painting table. They both got two coats of Vallejo Dark Yellow Surface Primer to start with and the StuG has had a wash of Agrax Earthshade with a bit of Nuln Oil added (my attempt to replace Devlan mud). For some reason my camera added a flash to this picture. Still, it gives you an idea of the colours.
Here is a natural light colour showing how the wash really tones down the yellow and makes it a nice battlefield tone. The plain primer is a bit bright. Now I plan to add brown and green camo stripes to go with something of the German tricolour scheme.
Looking forward to getting these on the tabletop and if anyone has any questions about the models or the game please just drop a comment.