There are many benefits to having such an awesome wife as I am blessed with. However, today we'll be focusing on her working for Henkel. This company makes a lot of products including Persil and Schwarzkopf but the modeler is more interested in their production of the brand Loctite. Now while she does get a lot of products at a discount, we're also loath to waste money and, being relatively unfamiliar with glues, she got me two small superglue-looking glue tubes. They're called SOS repair and are cute, small and seemed to contain cyanoacrylate.
Suspecting (wrongly) that I wouldn't be able to close the tiny tube thing once I snapped off the cap, I decided the only thing for it was to clear the decks and glue everything I had that needed superglue. Glue all the models!!!
Here is everything laid out (bonus shot of the drying laundry). On the table we've got some GW finecast Wracks and Grotesques, an Infinity starter set and the plastic ruined farmhouse from Warlord Games Assault on Normandy.
Here is the finecast (bubbles and miscasts included) ;-)
The infinity models. Some really great sculpting quality here.
The ruined farmhouse pieces. Generally really nice and very flexible with assembly but not as well cast and to the same tolerances as the GW plastic terrain kits I've tried. That said, it's also significantly more affordable.
The finecast beasties assembled. To its credit, this material is a dream to work with as far as gluing goes. You need to hold the pieces together for about three seconds before they catch and the light weight means they hold well (***See note below about light material***).
The whole group assembled. I've still got a few rubble bits (left) for the farmhouse that I'm not going to add yet. I'm thinking about making some bases using baked sculpey mounted on MDF so perhaps I'll add them then.
Now to the greenstuff. Here are the adjustments to the first grotesque. The biggest part was the waist, where none of the three models lined up. Here I also had to fill under the arm to solidify the joint, cover two bubbles (in the biceps/arms) and wrap the repaired joint of the sword. Thanks to the incredible light finecast, a slight finger touch during assembly snapped the sword off at the thin joint. I glued but decided to add some reinforcement this way too.
Grotesque two also had a major waist issue to deal with plus some small gaps in the shoulder joint. Under the left bicep also needed a bubble fill.
Shoulder, waist and underarm for number three as well.
At the end of my gluing marathon I noticed (in my probably slightly high state) that the glue cap could be replaced and so I can continue to use the little bottle for any other bits I get. At the moment I have no plans for a lot of resin or metal but then my Bolt Action Germans and Americans need some reinforcements so who knows.... ;-)
My follow up to the Grotesques review reinforces what I said before. Great models with lots of character but let down by the material. All three share the same pose and are fragile, come with several bubbles and need a fair bit of work to get them into finished condition. The resin takes glue extremely well but I think the quality control is not where it should be and the material is very fragile. Here's hoping for a three model plastic box for these in the future.
All the best everyone